Just like last year, I get a vote, and here’s how I think the top 10 teams in the county stack up
1. San Clemente – The best team I have seen all year. They look like a team that has the potential to evolve into a regional champion
2. Los Alamitos – The Griffins have a well organized defense that delivered a championship in one of the county’s premier high school tournaments – The Aliso Cup
3. Sunny Hills – The Lancers have a great center back and keeper, and much improved offense that knocked in six goals against Whittier. In past seasons, they’d be lucky to score six goals during the entire Freeway League season.
4. Sonora – Look out for the Raiders. They won the Wildcat Cup and have one of the best keepers in the county.
5. Marina – The have a great goal scorer in Dakoda Muta, but the Vikings sure miss the defense they had last year
6. Santa Margarita – The Eagles are 7-1-1 .
7. El Toro – The Chargers are 8-1 and have scored 27 goals this season
8. Brea Olinda – Brought a 5-0 record into the Wildcat Cup championship and played Sonora to a 1-1 tie in one of the most entertaining boys soccer games I have ever seen.
9. Servite – Got off to a rocky start at the Aliso Cup, but seem to be finding form. They made it to the championship of the JSerra tournament. But the Friars have to start scoring some goals.
10. Century – They have Amirgy Pineda, top-notch midfielder, and the Centurions gave Los Al all they could handle in the Aliso Cup, playing the Griffins to a 1-1 tie.