In just two weeks, football will be back on Friday nights, so it’s time to start posting preseason rankings. Here’s my O.C. preseason Top 10, including public, private rankings (I believe the private and public schools should be in separate leagues and playoff divisions, so I will now incorporate that into my rankings):
OVERALL O.C. Preseason Top 10
1. Santa Margarita: Johnny Stanton, pictured, leads a loaded offense but defense has questions to answer
2. Tesoro: Titans return 14 starters from a team that upset Servite in Pac-5 quarters
3. Servite: Friars trying to reload; new stars could be on the way
4. Mater Dei: Monarchs have some key returners and key transfers
5. Mission Viejo: Diablos could be work in progress with no returners on offense, several late transfers
6. Edison: If Chargers establish ground attack and play defense like ’11, watch out Southwest Div.
7. Orange Lutheran: If Lancers buy into option, they’ll ground and pound. Defense has questions.
8. Tustin: Tillers lost three, two-way stars to transfers but are still talented. Need linemen to step up.
9. El Toro: Manning has weapons back but Chargers need to be physical in jump up to South Coast.
10. La Habra: Highlanders graduated a ton but still have size and expectations to win
O.C. Private School Preseason Top 5
1. Santa Margarita
3. Mater Dei
4. Orange Lutheran
O.C. Public School Preseason Top 5
2. Mission Viejo
5. El Toro
More football news from the OCVarsity blog: